March 11, 2011

Tsunami What?!?

What a crazy night! Hawaii was under a Tsunami warning all night due to a super huge earthquake in Japan. The pictures Im seeing of the Tsunami in Japan are heartbreaking!

Luckily we didn't experience anything like that. The scary part was waiting. The lady on the radio was saying "the wave should his in two minutes!" and counting it down. I finally turned off the radio, they were getting on my nerves. The real info came from the National Weather Service facebook page. They were awesome. They updated every few minutes.


At about 10pm Brad and I started to pack things up, ready to run in case things got really serious. Looking around out house, there wasnt much I really cared about, most of it could be replaced.

Here is what we did grab:

Books! Most of these are my old childhood books, family books, the boys' baby books and favorite books.
We also grabbed all our files. All the birth certificates, SS cards, and all that.

Random things I packed, blankets, towels, TP, a giant bag of mini wheats (?), clothes for everyone and a few toys, diapers, some jewelry

Brad had the electronics covered. The camera, the laptop, the hard drive with all our pictures and the backup of our computer.

For me the eeriest thing was hearing the Tsunami warning sirens. They sounded every hour from about 10 till 3 am. They made me super nervous! Its hard to know how serious a situation really is when you are in the middle of it, and its the middle of the night. I dont know about you, but I dont always think critically in the middle of the night!

Luckily our house is about a mile in from the coast and we are 50 feet in elevation so we weren't in an immediate evacuation zone. Many of my friends were. Im not sure of the extent of damage or what really happened here on Oahu, but I dont thing it was too bad. The schools are closed today, and I think the ocean is still pretty wild.

I finally went to bed at 4am when I was sure the wave wasnt as big as it might have been. I knew we were safe.

Thank you to all of you who sent me texts and facebook messages! It made me feel loved!

And now that I know my little world is safe, Im going to unpack everything and then make some cinnamon rolls, it is iPad 2 day after all!

4 comments:

Krysta said...

THanks for the update! Rachel Allen I have have been worried about you guys so it's a relief knowing you're safe! We love you and miss you!!!

Jason said...

I am so glad that you guys are ok. we were worried.

Michelle said...

We've been worried about you guys. I'm SO glad to hear that you came out okay! And even though I don't make comments very often, I follow your blog and I love all of your cute crafty ideas. I don't know how you do it all with two little ones AND a job! You are amazing. Oh, and I listened to "Ramona, Age 8" on CD. It is adorable. Thanks for the great recommendation!

M said...

phew. glad you guys are OK!