May 27, 2011

Place Mat Mini Tutorial

Hi there.
I want new place mats.
Ive seen a few cute ones in stores lately, but the crafty side of me ALWAYS says, I could make that!
So I did.

Disclaimer: These are in no means perfect. I was kind of rushing, and I was really hot. Im always a little irritable when Im hot. Sorry. But they are just for casual dining around here, so perfection really doesnt matter! Ok. I feel better now that thats off my chest.

I found some super cute fabric at Walmart and I got a half yard in all five colors. I had to stalk around a lady who was trying to buy the same fabric. I have no shame, especially at Walmart.

First, cut your fabric 1/2 inch larger than you want the final product to turn out. I used some other place mats I have as a guide. Mine measured 19 1/2 inches by 14 1/2 inches.


Cut your batting (it can be as think or this as you want) 1/2 inch smaller than the fabric, so 19 inches by 14 inches.

Sew your fabric front sides together, leave a little hole to flip it inside out. I forgot to do this on at least one. Hello Seam Ripper, old friend!


Stuff the batting in and top stitch all the way around the edge making sure to close your flipping hole at the same time.

Quilt the mat. I chose to do a diagonal stitch about 3 inches apart. I just eye balled it. Not going for perfection here remember? But you could get as lazy or fancy as you want here.


Iron it flat and there you go!

Set your favorite Hula plates on and fix yourself a Spam musubi. Too much?


Ive got 4 more of these babies to whip up and a few coasters for my work peeps. But right now, Ive got some pizza to make! (and some Samoa ice cream to eat)

Have a great weekend!

Aloha!!

3 comments:

JJ said...

They are adorable, and I totally am loving the fabric!

jaquelyn {mama thoughts} said...

So cute! I'll have to make some placemats someday...I've done it before, but not in a long time. :)

Anonymous said...

I'm so impressed with all your projects. I don't know how you do it with two little kids. I think the same thing... I could make that, but then I never even try. Great job. So cute!