June 01, 2008

First Frog Eye of the Season


Although I kind of hate the name, I LOVE Frog Eye Salad!!! I think of it as a summer dish and so a Memorial Day weekend bbq was the perfect time for the first batch of the year.  The hostess is partial to maraschino cherries so I added a few on top.  I dont usually because the color bleeds out but they tasted really good.  Frog eye salad seems to similar to "the cane" (some of you know what Im talking about), either you love it or you hate it.  I think you know where I stand. Thanks to Aunt Cheri for introducing me!  For those of you who love it, or just want to try it, or want to make it and bring me some, here is the recipe... (this is my version of the recipe)  


1 1/3 C Acini de Pepe pasta uncooked
22 oz mandarin oranges, drained
20 oz pineapple chunks or tidbits, drained but reserve ¼ C juice
1 ¼ milk
1 tub cool whip
¼ C sugar
1 package vanilla instant pudding, I use fat free sugar free
8 oz crushed pineapple
3 C mini marshmallows
½ C coconut
Maraschino cherries to garnish if desired

Cook pasta according to package directions; drain. Rinse with cold water to cool quickly; drain well. Drain juice from pineapple chunks, reserving 1/4 cup.
In large bowl, add reserved juice, milk, sugar and pudding mix; beat with whisk or electric mixer until well blended, about 1 to 2 minutes. Add pasta to pudding mixture; stir gently. Let stand 10 minutes. Add crushed pineapple and chunks, oranges, 2 cups whipped topping, marshmallows and coconut; mix gently and thoroughly. Cover; refrigerate until cold. Top with remaining whipping topping. Garnish with cherries.

3 comments:

The Mullins said...

Thanks for the recipe. Whitney is always asking me to make it. Gotta love the "cane"

Sherrie said...

My mama makes a-cini-de-pepe, and just today I was craving it, crazy. I went to buy the little pasta bits, and fell in love with the little star shaped pasta bits parked right next to the original at my supermarket. I'll be making my own version this very weekend, and if it goes over well, I'll share the recipe.

"cane???" I usually get jokes a little late anyway, maybe I'll figure it out on my own.

Hilary said...

Looks tasty! Wanna know something funny? I'm pretty sure Cheri is the one who gave the recipe to my mom, too. (Jill's Mom?)